Switching from Mac OS to Windows! How to move your Outlook database (convert OLM to PST)?
Summary: Microsoft Outlook is one of the most used email clients by many organizations and it is available for both most famous OS in the world Mac & Windows. But Outlook uses two different types of data files to store data on both platforms. OLM is Outlook data file in Mac OS, while in Windows PST file is Outlook data file. As we can’t open .olm file in Outlook for Windows. So here, we describe how to move Outlook mailboxes data from Mac to Windows PC.
Microsoft Office introduces a Mac-specific Outlook data file called OLM with Office 2011. OLM file works same for Outlook in Mac as PST file works in Windows Outlook to store all mailboxes items including Inbox, Outbox, Sent Items, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, etc. Since the OLM file only works with Outlook for Mac computers and in Windows you can’t access data in Outlook directly from OLM file.
Thus, if any user switching from Mac to PC and wants to migrate all of his Outlook databases to Windows OS, then you have to export all data from OLM file to a PST file and then import the resultant PST file in Outlook for Windows.
How to Convert OLM to PST?
To convert OLM file into PST format manually, you have to locate the OLM file in your Mac Computer. You can find the OLM file in either of these two default locations:
Documents\Microsoft User Data\Office 2011 Identities\Main Identity\Databases
Documents\Microsoft User Data\ MS Office 2011 Identities\Main Identity\Data-Records\Message
But before directly navigating to one of these folders to find the OLM file, first, you will have to create it by exporting all mailboxes data in an OLM format file.
- In any of the folder location mentioned above, click on File > Export to open a new Export Window.
- Select all items available in this folder.
- Here a new option appears “Delete items after exporting”. Check “Do not want to delete item” option.
- Next “Save As” option will appear. Here chooses a destination folder to save the OLM file.
- Click on Save to save the OLM file.
Once you created the .olm file, then you need to convert it into PST format using methods mentioned down below-
Note: In this method, you have to use the IMAP server as an intermediate device between different Outlooks for Mac OS and Windows to receive remote files.
Step 1: Create a Gmail account or any other IMAP email account.
(or you can continue to step 2 you have already an email account)
Step 2: Configure your IMAP account in Outlook on your Mac:
- Open Outlook app on your Mac computer and select Tools > Accounts.
- Now type your E-mail address, Password, Username, and other details.
- Type “imap.gmail.com” as Incoming Server and “smtp.gmail.com” as Outgoing Server.
- Check Use SSL to connect in both options.
- Enter 465 in Outgoing port number and click Add Account.
- Select all the items and folders in you Mac Outlook you want to move
- Right-click on the selected folder and click Move> Copy to folder.
- Select a destination folder of your IMAP account and choose copy.
- After upload process completed all your mailboxes are now in an IMAP account.
(you can refresh your Gmail account to check all data)
Step 4: Configure the same Gmail/IMAP account in Outlook for Windows.
- Open Account Settings in Outlook. File > Info > Account Settings> New.
(another option – In Control Panel Select Mail>Email Accounts> New)
- Check Manually setup or additional server typed and click Next
- Choose POP/IMAP as your account type.
- Enter your User Information Name and E-mail.
- Select account type IMAP and fill your Server Information, user name, and password.
- In More Settings choose “my Outgoing server requires authentication” in the Outgoing Server tab.
- In Advanced Tab type 993 as Incoming Server and select type of encrypted connection as SSL.
- Type 465 as Outgoing Server and click OK.
- Now click on Next and test connection click Finish.
Step 5: Migrate your IMAP/Gmail account mailbox data to Windows Outlook
- Open your Gmail account in your browser and go to Settings.
- Go to the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” menu.
- Under “IMAP Access” option check Enable IMAP.
- Enable Auto-Exchange on and Archive the message option if you want.
- Click on Save Changes.
- Now in Outlook in Windows click on “Send/Receive message”.
By performing all the steps above you will be able to access your emails, contacts and other data from Mac Outlook in Windows.
Recommended Method for OLM to PST Conversion:
Above mentioned manual steps will help you in accessing your Outlook mailboxes from Mac to Windows but these steps are very complicated and may be confusing for a non-technical person. These manual methods are also risky as any small wrong step may cause of your all-important data loss.
For a safe and easy conversion of OLM to PST, I recommend you to try vMail OLM to PST Converter Software. This OLM converter software is very advance as it directly converts OLM file from Mac Outlook to PST file for Outlook in Window with every Outlook components like Inbox, Outbox, Sent, contacts, calendar, tasks, notes, etc. There is no risk of any data loss during this conversion process. This tool also provides you options to convert OLM file to other formats like MSG, MBOX, EML, HTML, PDF, RTF, vCard, etc and you and can also directly export to Office 365 or Exchange server.
You May Also Read:
-Descriptive List of 100 Image File Formats
-How to Fix OST Error Occurred Due to Ill-Configured Outlook Registries
-Best Ways to Recover Files Deleted from Trash on Mac
-How to resolve IMAP error – Outlook 0X800CCC0E?
-Are you Unable to Fix Outlook error 0x80070002? Let’s See How we can Fix it.
-How to Resolve Outlook Error 0x80004005 Easily
-Microsoft outlook error codes list and solutions